8.08.2006

Forward...

My dearest, he's to blame for this whole blogging thing. Bless his heart. He couldn't get me to talk about politics, or read Bleak House, or eat soft shell crabs, but he introduced me to the ever-so-addicting blogosphere. I've been lurking around for awhile now, checking out the scene and finially am compelled to wade into the shallow end.

Now he's told you about my little page and maybe you've stopped by to take a peek. Hi. Perhaps you're a bit surprised to note the polarity of my site and his. If you give me a moment, I can tell you about the five years I spent on a submarine (ok, that was he, but I have had the good fortune of hearing his stories often enough that I'm sure I could relay them, if you'd like) or repeat to you what my office thinks they think about the President. I'm sorry to dissapoint you with the sugar-coated appearance of my posts. I can't say exactly why I've decided to take the plunge, but I'll give it a shot:

BPP is a cheaper version of therapy and BPP is mine. I have no paid endorsments or sponsors. After my surgery, I was reminded (what causes us to forget?) about all of the good things out there in the world. I'm not talking solely about rainbows or whiskers on kittens -- rather all of those little things that make me happy and keep me moving through my stressful little New York life. Like the group of school girls playing a hand-clapping game out front of the Sony building today or the broken ice cream truck which plays the same *(%*# portion of the ice cream truck song over and over and over and over...Or, the memory of my dearest cleaning the snow off of my car in the frozen tundra of South Bend.

I figure I have a good year left in the Apple before I move elsewhere and I want to enjoy it. Perhaps I'm too New York-centric, but many of the blogs that I've found and followed are written by New Yorkers. I look to these gifted folks for weekend inspiration, restaurant recommendations and style tips (my favorites are listed on the side). After visiting a local Astoria establishment, which was recommended indirectly by another blogger, it dawned on me that I, too, could have something to share. Although I have lived here for 3 1/2 years, I still consider myself a tourist. I know I'm no travel writer or food critic (and never put commas in the right places) but, as my loved ones will attest, I'm opinionated.

Too, I feel the need to actually go out and experience this wonderful city, not just read about it on the internet. Instead of simply writing about what others have already discovered, I want to step away from my computer screen and take note of the tangible, the real. I am getting to the point where I am sick of reading about the next cool wallpaper designer and would rather lay in the grass and ponder the texture of the clouds.

So, this is my blog. I don't know where it will go and, frankly, don't care. I hope you come back and visit again. I promise I won't always post about lawn ornaments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home